You are here: Home / Projects / The Guantánamo Testimonials Project / Testimonies / Testimonies of the Defense Department / Mohammed Nechle: Allegations of Abuse, ARB, 2005

Mohammed Nechle: Allegations of Abuse, ARB, 2005

p. 22431

After 3 months in prison, Bosnia TV aired the fact that he was found innocent in the Bosnian court and to live free without conditions. The Detainee claimed that the acquittal was in his pocket when he was arrested; that he was surprised to be taken by the Americans; that his hands and feet were bound and he received the worst treatment of his life being without food, water and sleep for 36 hours. Since he's been in Cuba for 3 years, no one has ever asked him about the US Embassy.


p. 22432

The Tribunal President inquired about the alleged mistreatment of the Detainee after he came into US custody. The Detainee stated that it was harsh but that he wanted to just let it go; that his treatment and the conditions have become better in the last year and that he was ill when he arrived in Cuba and received some treatment but that his condition was untreated for some time after he arrived. The Tribunal President noted these statements for the record and caused a report of these allegations to be made through the chain of command.


p. 22470:

Q [from the Tribunal President]: I just have one question. You talked about what happened to you in Bosnia when you were turned over to the Americans. And you talked a little bit abuse there. I understood you to say that it was at the hands of the Americans.

A [from the Detainee]: Americans were in kind of a war against terrorism. So anyone in that situation would have been treated badly. I excuse them for that treatment. I just told you that we were not treated in a humane manner. We were not caught in Afghanistan or any place like that, we were caught in Bosnia. We were taken from our houses. Now I have many illnesses that I never had before. It was difficult. We were treated in a harsh manner, but we were suppose to be treated better than that because we had been acquitted. We don’t [sic] any relationship with terrorism or anything like that. So what I was saying is that I wish we would have been treated better on the way here and given food and water. Even the bathroom was forbidden from using it on the way here. The way was about three days and during the three days they just gave us some apples, that’s all we ate. When I got here I was sick for about a month or a month and a half from exhaustion. I used to think that America had respect for human rights when it comes to prison. That’s all I have.

Q: Was there any physical abuse while you were in transit?

A: It's not a problem. Just leave it. We weren't beaten for no reason, but our hand [sic] were bound like that (looking down at his handcuffed wrists) is numb right now I can't feel anything. But it's not a problem it's passed […]

p. 22471:

Q: When you arrived here sick, did you receive treatment for your illnesses?

A: In the beginning they didn't treat me. I asked them to treat me and they left me for a long time without treatment. I had a hemorrhage, that's what I had and I talked to them about that. I used to tell them there was blood; I was bleeding. I used to tell then about it time after time and just left it. I had a problem with it and they told me that they didn't have any doctors here. They said they [sic] to call America and have bring over specialists. So this comes here and now they have all these doctors. A person comes here... A person comes here healthy and then he leaves with all these illnesses […]